Your ultimate guide for herbs, spices, oils, and much more
Your ultimate guide for herbs, spices, oils and much more? What are these ingredients and what to do with them?
Well we have done the hard work so you don’t have to. These articles will provide you with all you need to know. Facts like, where is it grown? How can I use it? What does it taste like? So if you want to learn more about herbs, spices, nuts, and grains, well, we have it covered.
So, let’s get looking so you can start cooking!
- Cilantro – Some People Love It and Others Hate It!What is Cilantro? Cilantro – a herb that divides the population into two distinct groups: those who love it and those who cannot stand its taste. If you are a cilantro lover, you might add it to … Read more
- Muscovado Sugar: How to Use, Store, and EnjoyWhat is Muscovado Sugar? Are you tired of using refined sugars that are stripped of their nutrients and packed with additives? If so, you may want to consider switching to muscovado sugar. This natural sweetener is unrefined … Read more
- Yamagobo: The Nutrient-Packed SuperfoodWhat is Yamagobo? Have you heard of Yamagobo? This superfood has been gaining popularity in recent years due to its impressive nutrient profile and numerous health benefits. Hailing from the mountains of Japan, Yamagobo is a root … Read more
- Turmeric: the Golden SpiceWhat is Turmeric? Turmeric, also known as the “Golden Spice,” has been used for thousands of years in traditional medicine and cuisine. This vibrant yellow spice, derived from the root of the turmeric plant, has a long … Read more
- Chives: Discover the Health Benefits of ChivesWhat are Chives? Are you looking for ways to add more nutrition to your meals? Look no further than chives! This humble herb packs a powerful nutritional punch and has been used for centuries for its healing … Read more
- Cumin: The Spice of Life for Your Taste Buds & HealthWhat is Cumin? When it comes to spices, cumin is definitely a favorite among many. With its warm and earthy flavor, it has the power to transform any dish into a culinary masterpiece. But did you know … Read more
- Cardamom: Unlocking the Secrets – Comprehensive GuideWhat is Cardamom? Cardamom is a spice that has been cherished for centuries for its unique flavor and aroma. It is widely used in various cuisines around the world, from Indian curries to Scandinavian pastries. But did … Read more
- Chinese Five Spice – How To Use It In Your CookingChinese Five Spice – a symbolic spice If you’re a foodie, you’ve probably heard of Chinese Five Spice, a flavorful blend of spices that adds an exotic twist to any dish. But if you’ve never tried it … Read more
- Celery Leaves – Don’t Toss Them Out!Don’t Toss Out Those Celery Leaves! They’re a Nutritional Powerhouse If you’re like most people, you probably chop off the celery leaves and toss them in the trash without a second thought. After all, they’re tough and … Read more
- Lemon Thyme: Unlock the SecretsUnlocking the Secrets of Lemon Thyme: A Comprehensive Guide If you’re a foodie or a herb enthusiast, you’ve probably heard of lemon thyme. This aromatic herb is a versatile ingredient that can add flavor and complexity to … Read more
- Celery Powder: What It Is and Why It’s So PopularThe Lowdown on Celery Powder: What It Is and Why It’s So Popular Have you ever heard of celery powder? It might sound like just another ingredient on the grocery store shelf, but in recent years, this … Read more
- Charoli – Discover the Nutty GoodnessWhat is Charoli? What is charoil? If you’re a fan of nuts and seeds, you might be interested in discovering a lesser-known superfood from India: charoli. These tiny, almond-shaped seeds pack a powerful nutritional punch and have … Read more
- Lemongrass – what is it, how to use it, flavorWhat is Lemongrass? Lemongrass is actually a type of grass. It is characterized by its long, slender, and grass-like leaves that grow in tight bunches. It has a fibrous stalk and can reach a height of about … Read more
- Sour cream – history, flavor & common usesWhat is Sour Cream? Sour cream is a dairy product that is made by fermenting regular cream with lactic acid bacteria. The fermentation process gives it its characteristic tangy flavor and thick texture. It is commonly used … Read more
- Paprika – a sprinkle of spicePaprika Paprika is a spice made from dried and ground bell peppers or chili peppers. It is commonly used in various cuisines around the world, particularly in European and Mediterranean dishes. The peppers used to make paprika … Read more
- Rosemary: love, remembrance and purificationWhat is Rosemary? Rosemary is an aromatic herb with a woody, evergreen-like appearance. It has broad needle-like green leaves which display a purple, white, pink or blue flower. It actually belongs to the mint family, and its … Read more
- Oregano: full of fragrance and flavorWhat is Oregano? Oregano is a herb commonly used in cooking and is native to the Mediterranean region. It belongs to the mint family, and related to marjoram, which is much milder in flavor. Oregano has a … Read more
- Nutmeg: a touch of aromatic spiceWhat is Nutmeg? Nutmeg is a spice that is derived from the seed of the nutmeg tree. The tree produces a fruit, known as the ‘fruit’ or ‘apple’, which contains a hard seed (the nutmeg) surrounded by … Read more
- Cajun Seasoning: The Perfect Addition to Your Spice RackWhat is Cajun Seasoning? Cajun seasoning is a flavorful spice blend that originated from the cuisine of Louisiana, particularly the Cajun culture. It is known for its robust and spicy flavor profile. The seasoning typically combines a … Read more
- Tarragon: prized for its flavor and aromaWhat is Tarragon? Tarragon is highly valued for its distinctive flavor and aroma, which is often described as sweet, slightly licorice-like, and reminiscent of anise or fennel. It is actually a perennial herb from the sunflower family. … Read more
- Lemon Pepper SeasoningWhat is Lemon Pepper Seasoning? Lemon pepper seasoning is a popular spice blend that combines the flavors of dried lemon zest and cracked black pepper. It is commonly used to add a tangy and zesty taste to … Read more
- Black Pepper: A Spice: With Surprising Health BenefitsWhat is Black Pepper? Black pepper is a versatile and popular spice known for its distinct flavor and potential health benefits. It comes from the berries of the Piper nigrum plant and is native to India. For … Read more
- Alum Powder: The Versatile Ingredient You Need in The PantryWhat is Alum Powder? Alum powder is a chemical compound that has been used for various purposes during the centuries. It is a crystalline powder that is typically white or colorless. The powder is used in pickling … Read more
- Black Garlic: flavor enhancer with medicinal properties!What is Black Garlic? Black garlic is a type of garlic that has undergone a fermentation process, resulting in a dark, blackened appearance. It has a a unique flavor with a smooth, soft texture and a rich, … Read more
- Basil: A Natural Remedy for Common AilmentsWhat is Basil? Basil, the fragrant herb known for its culinary uses, is also a natural remedy for a variety of common ailments. With its rich history in traditional medicine, basil has been used for centuries to … Read more
- Reference List for Herbs & SpicesReference List for Herbs & Spices, nuts, grains, oils and more Reference List – Do you need some information on spices, herbs, nuts, oils & grains? We have compiled this easy to use table for you. Let’s … Read more
- Thyme: The Many Benefits of Adding It to Your DietWhat is Thyme? If you’re looking to add some extra flavor to your meals while also reaping a host of health benefits, look no further than thyme. This fragrant herb, often used in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern … Read more
- Coriander: love it or loathe it, but what is it?What is Coriander? What is coriander? Well, coriander and cilantro are actually the same plant, but the terms are used to refer to different parts of the plant depending on the region. In many English-speaking countries, the … Read more
- Almond Butter: a Superfood to Include in Your DietWhat is Almond Butter? Almond butter is a delicious and nutritious spread that has been gaining popularity in recent years. Not only does it taste amazing, but it also boasts a wide range of health benefits that … Read more
- Safflower: the thorny health plantWhat is Safflower? Safflower, a plant that has been cultivated for centuries, is often overlooked when it comes to its health benefits. But did you know that this thistle-like plant has been used for medicinal purposes, culinary … Read more
- Chile de árbol powderChile de árbol powder Chile de árbol powder is a spice made from dried árbol chilies, which are small and fiery peppers commonly used in Mexican cuisine. The chilies are dried and ground into a fine powder, … Read more
- Peppermint: spicy (pepper) and fresh (mint)What is Peppermint? Is peppermint a spice? No, it is actually an herb. Peppermint is a popular herb known for its refreshing aroma and taste. It belongs to the mint family and is a hybrid of watermint … Read more
- Saw Leaf | Vietnamese CorianderWhat is Saw Leaf | Vietnamese Coriander? Yes, we know it can be confusing. Saw Leaf, also known as Vietnamese coriander, is known by many other names. It also goes by the name Vietnamese mint, or laksa … Read more
- Ginger: warm, sweet and spicyWhat is Ginger? Ginger is a flowering plant which is widely known for its aromatic, spicy, and pungent rhizome. A rhizome is the underground stem of the plant. Young stems tend to be extremely juicy with a … Read more
- Flax Seeds: Tiny powerful seeds that pack a punchWhat are Flax Seeds? Flax seeds are tiny, powerful seeds that pack a punch when it comes to nutritional benefits. They have been gaining popularity in recent years as a superfood, with many health enthusiasts touting their … Read more
We hope these articles will help you whenever you want to learn more about a particular ingredient. And if you find you have run out of your favorite ingredient then look at our ‘Substitute’ page to find a suitable alternative. Happy cooking!
Or please feel free to read any of our other articles – be inspired. Let’s get looking so you can start cooking!