Best Himalayan salt licks for horses and cattle – Top 5 for 2023
Best salt licks for horses and cattle – what are the best and also do I really need to give them to my animals? Animals need salt in their diet, just like us, and whilst they will normally find some within their daily feed it may also be necessary to supplement salt in their diet. While there are countless options for supplements and feed, have you considered adding salt licks to your animal’s diet? Salt licks are blocks of salt that provide essential minerals and nutrients that are often lacking in an animal’s diet. They are an easy and cost-effective solution to ensure your animals receive the necessary nutrients for optimal health and growth. In this article, we will explore the benefits of using salt licks for your farm animals, including improved digestion, enhanced immune function, and increased overall well-being. So, whether you are raising cattle, horses, sheep, or goats, read on to discover why salt licks should be a staple in your animal’s diet.
What are salt licks
Salt licks are natural, chemical free blocks of Himalayan rock salt and they are suitable as a source of salt for horses and cattle. Also salt licks contain a range of trace minerals which are required for the development and maintenance of the animals skeleton and teeth.
So what should I do?
To ensure that you give your horse and cattle the healthiest diet why not consider hanging a few salt licks so they can easily access them. Furthermore if you want more information on salt licks have a look at Himalayan salt licks for horses and cattle.
Our top picks for Himalayan salt licks for horses and cattle
- Likit Starter kit – Blue
- Contains 3 x 650g flavored licks
- Carrot, apple and mint flavors
- Likit holder and string also included
- 2 x 100grams treats also included
- Presentation boxed
- Great introduction pack
Editors choice: $$
Top product recommendation
We love this starter kit from Signature. We see this as a perfect way to introduce your animal to salt licks. There are three different flavors of licks included, and also 2 packets of flavored treats. This is such an easy way to make sure your horse is getting enough minerals in their diet. Hang in the stalls, outside on a fence post, or even in the horse-box to stop your animal getting bored.
The packaging can be a bit difficult to open, but holder and salt licks are easy to assemble when you do.
- Premium quality Himalayan salt licks
- Weighing 6 lbs each – 3 per pack
- A great source of nutrition for horses & cattle
- Each lick contains 84 trace minerals
- Helps strengthen the animals immune system
- Hard texture stops horses biting off chunks
- Can be used outdoors or also placed in stables
Editors choice: $$
Value product recommendation
This pack of Glowyn salt licks are perfect for either indoor or outdoor use. Each lick weighs approximately 6lbs and with 3 in the pack they are certainly great value. Using the salt licks decreases stressful behaviors your animals may have and also helps your horse and cattle maintain good health and fitness.
You may need to buy several packs as we don’t think they will last too long!
- Don’t need a pack? Then choose the individual 6lb animal salt lick
- These are weather resistant and as they are rock hard they are also resistant to over-biting
- Excellent source of minerals to ensure your animal is getting a healthy balanced diet
- Can help relieve boredom in the stalls or during transport
- Hang close to water facilities to ensure animals stay hydrated
- Contains 84 trace minerals ensuring a healthy mineral balance
- Suitable for horses, cattle, deer and livestock
- Four weights to choose from – 2lb, 4lb, 6lb, 10lbs
- 100% mineral salt lick to help maintain animal health
- Made from rose pink colored salt, also contains iron, potassium and magnesium
- Also comes with a strong sturdy rope
- Safe for horse, cattle and wildlife
- Contains 84 trace minerals
- Salt lick turns easily on the rope ensuring nothing is wasted
- A super pack of 4 blocks Himalayan salt each weighing 4.4lbs
- Made from 100% pure Himalayan salt crystal, no additives
- Blocks are designed to fit into holder size 8″ x 3.85″ x 2″
- Just simply place each block in the holder for easy access – so no rope required
- These blocks contain 84 natural trace minerals to promote healthy skin and bones in your animals
- Always place salt licks near fresh water to ensure your animals remain hydrated
- Natural salt supplement for your animal’s diet
Do animals really need salt licks?
Just like humans, animals need salt in their diet which they will normally get from the grains, etc. that you feed them, however, on some occasions it may be necessary to add salt into their diet.
What does a Himalayan salt lick actually do?
As salt licks are made of rock slabs that contain natural trace minerals they are an excellent way to add salt into your animals daily feeding regime. Furthermore, they contain quantities of calcium, magnesium, sodium and other minerals such as iron. Consequently all these minerals help to maintain healthy circulatory systems, nervous systems and bone and muscles.
Are salt licks safe for horses and cattle?
Most animals consume only the food that they need to, but where salt is concerned some are better than others at regulating their salt intake. Just remember if you do decide to use a salt lick some animals will enjoy it, but some may even over-indulge. Now as we all know, ingesting too much salt is not good for us, and the same also goes for animals too. It is therefore very important that you make sure you provide plenty of fresh dinking water for your horses and livestock.
Also don’t be afraid to remove the salt lick if you feel your animals are spending to much time on it. And also remember to check on them regularly to ensure they are drinking enough and not becoming dehydrated.
So now you know that Himalayan salt licks are beneficial for both horses and cattle. That they are natural, chemical free, and can also help promote good health.
Do you still want to learn more? Then why not head over to our other sections to find out more about salt, its uses, other salt products, and some quick and easy recipes?
Table of Contents
- Best Himalayan salt licks for horses and cattle – Top 5 for 2023
- What are salt licks
- So what should I do?
- Our top picks for Himalayan salt licks for horses and cattle
- Do animals really need salt licks?
- What does a Himalayan salt lick actually do?
- Are salt licks safe for horses and cattle?
- More ideas