Do you want to know what the best Himalayan salt licks are for horses and cattle?
Animals need salt in their diet, just like us, and whilst they will normally find some within their daily feed you may find it is necessary to supplement salt in their diet.
Salt licks are natural, chemical free and suitable for horses and cattle. Salt licks contain a range of trace minerals which are required for the development and maintenance of the animals skeleton and teeth.
So what should I do?
To ensure that you give your horse and cattle the healthiest diet why not consider hanging a few salt licks so they can easily access them. And if you want more information on salt licks have a look at Himalayan salt licks for horses and cattle.
Our top picks for Himalayan salt licks for animals
- Likit Starter kit – Blue
- Contains 3 x 650g flavored licks
- Carrot, apple and mint flavors
- Likit holder and string included
- 2 x 100grams treats
- Presentation boxed
- Great introduction pack
Editors choice: $$
Top product recommendation
We love this starter kit from Signature. A perfect way to introduce your animal to salt licks. Three different flavors of licks plus 2 packets of flavored treats included. Such an easy way to ensure your horse is getting enough minerals in their diet. Hang in the stalls, outside on a fence post, or even in the horse-box to stop your animal getting bored.
Packaging can be a bit difficult to open. But holder and salt licks easy to assemble when you do.
- Premium quality Himalayan salt licks
- Weighing 6 lbs each – 3 per pack
- Great source of nutrition for horses & cattle
- Each lick contains 84 trace minerals
- Strengthens the animals immune system
- Hard texture stops horses biting off chunks
- Can be used outdoors
Editors choice: $$
Value product recommendation
This pack of Glowyn salt licks are perfect for indoor and outdoor use. Each lick weighs approximately 6lbs and with 3 in the pack they are certainly great value. Using the salt licks decreases stressful behaviors your animals may have and also helps your horse and cattle maintain good health and fitness.
You may need to buy several packs as we don’t think they will last too long!
- Don’t need a pack? Then choose the individual 6lb animal salt lick
- These are weather resistant and as they are rock hard they are also resistant to over-biting
- Excellent source of minerals ensuring your animal is getting a healthy balanced diet
- Can help relieve boredom in the stalls or during transport
- Hang close to water facilities to ensure hydration
- Contains 84 trace minerals ensuring a healthy mineral balance
- Suitable for horses, cattle, deer and livestock
- Four weights to choose from – 2lb, 4lb, 6lb, 10lbs
- 100% mineral salt lick to help maintain animal health
- Made from rose pink colored salt with high iron, potassium and magnesium content
- Strong sturdy rope supplied
- Safe for horse, cattle and wildlife
- Contains 84 trace minerals
- Easy to turn on the rope ensuring nothing is wasted
- A super pack of 4 blocks Himalayan salt each weighing 4.4lbs
- 100% pure Himalayan salt crystal, no additives
- Check blocks will fit in your current holder – 8″ x 3.85″ x 2″
- Simply place in holder for easy access
- 84 natural trace minerals for healthy skin and bones
- Place near fresh water to ensure hydration
- Natural salt supplement for your animal’s diet
Do animals really need salt licks?
Just like humans, animals need salt in their diet. They will normally get this salt from the grains, etc. that you feed them. However, on some occasions it may be necessary to add salt into their diet.
What does a salt lick actually do?
As salt licks are made of natural trace minerals they are an excellent way to add salts into your animals daily feeding regime. Furthermore, they contain quantities of calcium, magnesium, sodium and other minerals such as iron. These help maintain healthy circulatory systems, nervous systems and bone and muscles.
Are salt licks safe for animals?
Most animals consume only the food that they need to, but where salt is concerned some are better than others at regulating their salt intake. If you decide to use a salt lick just remember that some animals will enjoy it and may over-indulge. We all know that ingesting to much salt is not good for us – and the same goes for animals too. It is therefore vey important that you make sure you provide plenty of fresh dinking water for your horses and livestock.
Also don’t be afraid to remove the salt lick if you feel your animals are spending to much time on it. Remember to check on them regularly to ensure they are drinking enough and not becoming dehydrated.
So now you know that Himalayan salt licks are beneficial for both horses and cattle. They are natural, chemical free, and help promote good health.
If you would like to learn more about salt and its many uses why not read our other articles.
If you want to find out more about salt have a read through our other articles.