Best Himalayan salt block
What is the best Himalayan Salt Block for cooking? How do I use one and how do I clean a Himalayan salt block?
Himalayan Salt Blocks are a favorite when cooking fish, vegetables and meats. Salt blocks add flavor and texture during the cooking process and are also thought to increase the nutrient content of your food.
Did you know you can use salt slabs for grilling and BBQs. Great for preparing and serving food – use either hot or cold!
So, what are the best salt blocks for cooking? Let’s have a look at the best Himalayan salt blocks on the market, and further on you can read more about how to use one.
- Himalayan Salt Block 12 x 8 x 2″
- Total weight 16 lbs (7.7 kgs)
- Use for hot cooking or as a cold platter
- Mined from salt in the Himalayan Mountains
- Add natural trace minerals to your food whilst cooking
- Free stainless steel salt plate holder
- Free oven gloves
Top product recommendation
We love the versatility of the POHS Himalayan salt block and the steel plate holder is super for transporting the hot slab. Good weight and large cooking surface. The slab can also be used for cold platter serving. Oh – and a free set of oven gloves too!
- Natural Himalayan Salt Block 12 x 8 x 1.5″
- Heat salt slab for 30 minutes before use for hot cooking
- Cool salt slab for 2 hours in freezer for cold servings
- Food naturally absorbs trace minerals from salt block
- For use on stovetops
- Also suitable for grilling and BBQs
- Easy to clean
Best value recommendation
If you are looking for a cooking plate without the steel plate holder then this is the product for you. With the same sized cooking surface as other models it is great for grilling, BBQs, and also direct on kitchen stovetops. So go on, get your sizzle going.
- Himalayan Salt Block cooking plate 12 x 8 x 1.5″
- Weight 12 lbs (5.78 kgs)
- Handcarved from salt slabs in the Himalayan Mountains
- Good cooking grade salt
- Stainless steel holder
- Simply wipe clean with a wet cloth
- Perfect for cooking, grilling or BBQ
- Himalayan Salt cooking block 12 x 8 x 1.5″
- Complete with steel tray
- Keeps food warm or cold
- Containing natural Himalayan trace minerals
- Perfect for cooking, grilling, cutting and serving
- Easy to clean
- Can be used directly on stovetops
- 100% Himalayan Salt plate 12 x 8 x 1.5″
- Complete with porcelain-coated black steel plate holder
- Use on grill or gas
- Infuse salt flavoring during cooking
- Can be used for chilled presentations
- Perfect gift
- Easy wipe cleaning
What is a salt block and how do I cook on one?
A salt block is made from a slab of rock salt, mined in the Pakistan region of the Himalayan Mountains. It contains around 84 natural trace minerals which infuse into meats and fish during the heating/cooking process.
There are two ways to use a salt block – either hot or cold.
The salt block can be placed on stove-tops and BBQ s. Also known as a salt plank, the block can be placed under the grill. Generally it takes around 30 minutes for the block to become hot enough to sear/cook your food on.
If you wish to use it cold then you need to pop it in the freezer for about 2 hours to chill it through. It is then ready for you to display your cold cuts and fruits on.
How long does a Himalayan salt block last?
When looking to buy a salt block think about factors such as quality, size and weight. A good quality salt block is worth its weight in gold and if looked after properly a salt block can last many years. On average, if looked after using the tips below, you can expect your salt block to last approximately 12 to 24 months, depending on how often it is used.
How do you clean a Himalayan salt block?
- After cooking the salt block should be gently wiped down to remove any excess food.
- If you have been cooking with heat then allow the block to cool before using a moist cloth to wipe the surface of the block.
- For stubborn residue you can use a stiff bristled brush but do not scrub too hard as you don’t want to rub off the salt.
- After cleaning allow the block to dry naturally and then store in a cool dry environment away from moisture.
Remember you should never use any chemical products to clean a salt block, or place it in a dishwasher, or immerse it completely in water.
Himalayan salt plates are very versatile and can be used for various styles of cooking. They are great on BBQ’s, stove-tops, and when you want to grill fish or meat. If you want to use a salt plate cold then pop it in the freezer for approximately 2 hours and then display your chilled meats, fruits, etc. The salty flavors from the salt block will infuse the food whilst cooking and will give you a delicious taste to your fish and meat.
Do you still want to learn more? Then why not head over to our other sections to find out more about salt, its uses, other salt products, and some quick and easy recipes?