Top 5 Fleur de Sel salt – 2023
Whether you are a budding home cook or a professional chef you will enjoy the versatility, use, and flavors of Fleur de Sel.
“Fleur de sel” is a term used to refer to a type of gourmet sea salt. The term translates from French as “flower of salt.” Fleur de sel is often considered a high-quality and premium salt due to its delicate flavor, texture, and the way it is harvested.
What is Fleur de Sel
Fleur de Sel is a type of sea salt which has a unique flavor and texture. It is normally found in the costal regions of France, but other countries such as Portugal and Greece also now produce Fleur de Sel. The salt crystals become visible due to water evaporation. As the water evaporates it leaves behind a thin crusty layer of salt crystals on the surface of the water. After the crystals are harvested by hand, they are then graded and packaged ready for distribution. Also the salt from each region has its own unique flavor due to the the quantity of trace minerals in the water.
So how do I use Fleur de Sel?
Generally Fleur de Sel is not added directly into the main cooking process as the flavor would overpower the dish. Rather it is normally used as a finishing salt to add flavor and texture just before serving. Its delicate crunch and mild flavor can enhance the taste of various foods, such as grilled meats, vegetables, salads, and even desserts. Due to its artisanal nature and limited availability, fleur de sel is considered a gourmet ingredient and is often associated with fine dining and culinary excellence.
So, here are our top 5 picks for Fleur d Sel in 2023
- Esprit du Sel brand
- Contains 1 x 5.6 ounce resealable jar
- Oak wood smoked salt for a unique flavor
- Perfect for garnishing and topping food
- Use on meats, fish, pasta and vegetables
- Air-tight jar for secure storage
- Other flavors available
Editors choice: $$
Top product recommendation
What can we say about this salt? Simple – it is absolutely delicious. From the moment you open the jar you can smell the beautiful smoky aroma of the salt. But remember to use sparingly or it could become overwhelming. Hand-harvested from the Atlantic sea around the Island of Re, near La Rochelle, France.
Don’t be put off by the premium price as you will only need to use a small amount. Therefore it should last a long time.
- Le Saunier de Camargue brand
- Weighing 4.41 ounces
- A perfect salt for finishing and garnishing
- Strong cardboard container with cork lid for storage
- Natural product
- From the Camargue region of southern France
- Sprinkle sparingly before serving
Editors choice: $$
Value product recommendation
This product is a must if you want to try using Fleur de Sel. It is hand-harvested from the Camargue region of southern France. With distinct salt crystals, that are naturally slightly damp, this salt is perfect to use as a finishing salt. Just sprinkle on before serving.
You may need to buy several packs as we don’t think they will last too long!
- 7 ounce packet of pure organic natural salt
- Hand-harvested from the Algarve, Portugal
- Contains no preservatives or additives
- Use sparingly due to its strong flavor
- Has an excellent flavor
- Adds texture and crunch to your dish
- Dona Maria brand
- M Gilles Hervy salt farmers
- 100% unrefined and unprocessed
- From the Atlantic seas around Guerande, region of Brittany
- Small flaky crystals with strong sea and mineral taste
- For use as a finishing salt due to the strong flavors
- For every 80 pounds of harvested sea-salt only 3 pounds of Fleur de Sel is produced – a premium product
- Sprinkle sparingly before serving on meats, fish and vegetables
- Hand-harvested salt from the rugged coast of Brittany, France
- Made from 100% pure salt crystals
- Rare natural flower sea salt
- Finest grade of Guerande salt
- White crystals – not to be confused with Gros Sel Guerande (grey salt)
- Sprinkle on meats, fish and pasta before serving
- Add as a topping to pasta, meats and fish
Do we need salt in our diet?
Yes, we need salt in our diet, but in moderation. But did you know that salt, or sodium chloride, is an essential nutrient that our bodies require to maintain proper fluid balance, nerve function, and muscle contraction? However, consuming too much salt can lead to health problems, such as high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, and kidney disease.
How much salt should I consume?
The American Heart Association recommends that adults consume no more than 2,300 milligrams of sodium per day, which is about one teaspoon of salt. However, most people consume much more sodium than this, largely due to the high amounts of salt found in processed and packaged foods.
Therefore, it is important to be mindful of our salt intake and to try to limit our consumption of high-sodium foods. This can be achieved by choosing fresh, whole foods whenever possible and reading nutrition labels to identify high-sodium products. Additionally, using herbs and spices to flavor our food instead of salt can be a healthier alternative.
What else can I use Fleur de Sel for?
While fleur de sel is primarily used as a culinary ingredient to enhance the flavor of dishes, there are also non-culinary applications for this premium salt. Here are a few examples:
- Bath and Body Products: Fleur de sel can be incorporated into bath salts, scrubs, and soaps. Its mineral-rich composition and exfoliating properties make it a popular choice for skincare products. The fine grains of fleur de sel can help gently remove dead skin cells, leaving the skin feeling smooth and refreshed.
- Aromatherapy: Fleur de sel can be combined with essential oils to create fragrant bath salts or used in salt lamps and diffusers. The scent of the salt, combined with the therapeutic properties of essential oils, can create a relaxing and calming atmosphere, promoting stress relief and well-being.
- Home Decor: Fleur de sel can be used creatively in home decor projects. The delicate crystals can be added to decorative jars or vases, creating an attractive display. Additionally, it can be used in craft projects like homemade candles or potpourri, adding a touch of elegance and natural texture.
- Spa Treatments: Due to its high mineral content, fleur de sel is sometimes used in spa treatments like salt scrubs and body wraps. It can help detoxify the skin, improve circulation, and exfoliate dead skin cells, leaving the body feeling revitalized and rejuvenated.
- Natural Cleaning: Fleur de sel can be used as a natural abrasive for cleaning purposes. It can help remove stubborn stains or grime from various surfaces, such as pots and pans, sinks, or countertops. Mix it with a small amount of water or vinegar to form a paste and apply it to the desired area for gentle scrubbing.
While these non-culinary uses of fleur de sel may not be as common as its culinary applications, they demonstrate the versatility and unique properties of this premium salt beyond the kitchen.
If you want to experience the taste and flavor of natural, untreated, unprocessed salt then Fleur de Sel is the product for you.
Fleur de sel, meaning “flower of salt” in French, is a gourmet sea salt known for its delicate flavor, texture, and artisanal production. It is hand-harvested from the surface of saltwater evaporation ponds, forming a thin crust under specific weather conditions. Fleur de sel is primarily used in culinary applications as a finishing salt to enhance the taste and texture of various dishes. However, it can also be utilized in non-culinary ways. It can be incorporated into bath and body products, such as bath salts and scrubs, for its exfoliating and mineral-rich properties. Fleur de sel can be used in aromatherapy to create a relaxing atmosphere when combined with essential oils. It can be employed in home decor projects, spa treatments, and as a natural cleaning agent due to its texture and mineral content. These non-culinary uses highlight the versatility and potential of fleur de sel beyond its traditional culinary role.
Remember, Fleur de Sel goes through a labor intensive hand-harvesting process which means the salt is priced as a premium product – be careful how you use it!
Do you still want to learn more? Then why not head over to our other sections to find out more about salt, its uses, other salt products, and some quick and easy recipes?