Top 5 Fleur de Sel salt – 2023
Whether you are a budding home cook or a professional chef you will enjoy the versatility, use, and flavors of Fleur de Sel.
Also did you know the name is from the French “fleur de sel” which translates as “flower of salt”?
What is Fleur de Sel
Fleur de Sel is a type of sea salt which has a unique flavor and texture. It is normally found in the costal regions of France, but other countries such as Portugal and Greece also now produce Fleur de Sel. The salt crystals become visible due to water evaporation. As the water evaporates it leaves behind a thin crusty layer of salt crystals on the surface of the water. After the crystals are harvested by hand, they are then graded and packaged ready for distribution. Also the salt from each region has its own unique flavor due to the the quantity of trace minerals in the water.
So how do I use Fleur de Sel?
Generally Fleur de Sel is not added directly into the main cooking process as the flavor would overpower the dish. Rather it is normally used as a finishing salt to add flavor and texture just before serving.
So, here are our top 5 picks for Fleur d Sel in 2023
Esprit du Sel, Oak Wood Smoked Fleur de Sel 5.6oz
- Esprit du Sel brand
- Contains 1 x 5.6 ounce resealable jar
- Oak wood smoked salt for a unique flavor
- Perfect for garnishing and topping food
- Use on meats, fish, pasta and vegetables
- Air-tight jar for secure storage
- Other flavors available
Editors choice: $$
Top product recommendation
What can we say about this salt? Simple – it is absolutely delicious. From the moment you open the jar you can smell the beautiful smoky aroma of the salt. But remember to use sparingly or it could become overwhelming. Hand-harvested from the Atlantic sea around the Island of Re, near La Rochelle, France.
Don’t be put off by the premium price as you will only need to use a small amount. Therefore it should last a long time.
Le Saunier De Camargue-Fleur De Sel – 4,41 Oz
- Le Saunier de Camargue brand
- Weighing 4.41 ounces
- A perfect salt for finishing and garnishing
- Strong cardboard container with cork lid for storage
- Natural product
- From the Camargue region of southern France
- Sprinkle sparingly before serving
Editors choice: $$
Value product recommendation
This product is a must if you want to try using Fleur de Sel. It is hand-harvested from the Camargue region of southern France. With distinct salt crystals, that are naturally slightly damp, this salt is perfect to use as a finishing salt. Just sprinkle on before serving.
You may need to buy several packs as we don’t think they will last too long!
Fleur De Sel 7oz Gourmet Salt Hand Harvest Dona Maria Gourmet Natural Sea Salt
- 7 ounce packet of pure organic natural salt
- Hand-harvested from the Algarve, Portugal
- Contains no preservatives or additives
- Use sparingly due to its strong flavor
- Has an excellent flavor
- Adds texture and crunch to your dish
- Dona Maria brand
Fleur de Sel De Guerande – Hervy
- M Gilles Hervy salt farmers
- 100% unrefined and unprocessed
- From the Atlantic seas around Guerande, region of Brittany
- Small flaky crystals with strong sea and mineral taste
- For use as a finishing salt due to the strong flavors
- For every 80 pounds of harvested sea-salt only 3 pounds of Fleur de Sel is produced – a premium product
- Sprinkle sparingly before serving on meats, fish and vegetables
Le Guerandais Fleur de Sel from Guerande
- Hand-harvested salt from the rugged coast of Brittany, France
- Made from 100% pure salt crystals
- Rare natural flower sea salt
- Finest grade of Guerande salt
- White crystals – not to be confused with Gros Sel Guerande (grey salt)
- Sprinkle on meats, fish and pasta before serving
- Add as a topping to pasta, meats and fish
Do we need salt in our diet?
Yes, we need salt in our diet, but in moderation. But did you know that salt, or sodium chloride, is an essential nutrient that our bodies require to maintain proper fluid balance, nerve function, and muscle contraction? However, consuming too much salt can lead to health problems, such as high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, and kidney disease.
How much salt should I consume?
The American Heart Association recommends that adults consume no more than 2,300 milligrams of sodium per day, which is about one teaspoon of salt. However, most people consume much more sodium than this, largely due to the high amounts of salt found in processed and packaged foods.
Therefore, it is important to be mindful of our salt intake and to try to limit our consumption of high-sodium foods. This can be achieved by choosing fresh, whole foods whenever possible and reading nutrition labels to identify high-sodium products. Additionally, using herbs and spices to flavor our food instead of salt can be a healthier alternative.
What else can I use salt for?
Salt, or sodium chloride, has many different uses, both in cooking and in other areas. So here are some of the most common uses of salt:
- Cooking: Salt is commonly used as a seasoning to enhance the flavor of food. It is also used in baking to help bread dough rise and in preserving foods like meat, fish, and vegetables.
- Cleaning: Salt can be used as an abrasive to clean a variety of surfaces, such as sinks, pots and pans, and even stained fabrics.
- Deicing: Salt can be used to melt ice and snow on roads and sidewalks, as it lowers the freezing point of water and makes it easier to clear away.
- Water softening: Salt is used in water softening systems to remove minerals like calcium and magnesium that can cause hard water.
- Medical purposes: Salt is used in various medical procedures, such as saline solution used for intravenous infusions and nasal irrigation to alleviate congestion.
- Beauty treatments: Salt is used in beauty treatments, such as salt scrubs and bath salts, to exfoliate and nourish the skin.
- Agriculture: Salt is also used in agriculture to help regulate the pH of soil and as a nutrient for plants.
If you want to experience the taste and flavor of natural, untreated, unprocessed salt then Fleur de Sel is the product for you. But the labor intensive hand-harvesting process means the salt is priced as a premium product.
Overall, salt has a wide range of uses and is an important part of our daily lives. However, it is important to use salt in moderation, as consuming too much can have negative health effects.
Do you still want to learn more? Then why not head over to our other sections to find out more about salt, its uses, other salt products, and some quick and easy recipes?